Peer Navigator with Mental Health Association of NW PA
Employee must have successfully completed Certified Peer Specialist or Certified Recovery Specialist training recognized by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. This is a full time position working on location at the Blasco Memorial Library. Staff will work in the Blasco Memorial Library on week days with potential hours on Saturdays as needed. The employee will provide direct support and training/education to library patrons and staff on issues of mental health, substance abuse and homelessness. The goal is to provide a safe environment and connect patrons with available community resources and services.
• Be accessible to and aware of library patrons in distress in a supportive and
• In conjunction with library staff, help to maintain a safe and peaceful
environment by knowing the emergency protocol and security measures
implemented in an emergency
• Recognize and manage crisis situations.
• Provide role model for successful interaction skills (assertiveness, conflict
resolution, and boundary maintenance).
• Work closely with the Library staff and Social Work interns.
• Familiarize library staff on recognizing symptoms of mental illness and
strategies to defuse potential volatile situations.
• Work one-on-one and with library patrons who want assistance in development
of Wellness Recovery Action Plans (WRAP) or other recovery tools.
• Assist peers in navigating the physical/mental health systems; provide
advocacy and resources as needed with other services and supports including
involvement in the community and the MHA Consumer Center.
• Assist peers who are visiting library with applications for public assistance,
utilizing library computer lab.
• Assist library patrons with referrals for continued education endeavors such
as literacy, adult education, GED, career counseling.
• Participate in approved pertinent training opportunities.
• Complete all necessary paperwork and reports in a timely manner.
• Maintain standards of confidentiality.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Maintain Certification as a Certified Peer Specialist or Certified Recovery Specialist.
• High School or General Education Diploma.
• Act 33/34 and Act 151 clearance.
• Negative pre-employment and random drug screenings.
• Proven ability to work as a member of a team.
• Ability to follow written and verbal directions.
• Computer skills working with Word, Outlook, and Excel.
• Record keeping skills, ability to write clearly.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to manage own work schedule, set own appointments.
• Proven ability to advocate on behalf of self and others.
• Knowledge of Recovery Principles related to mental health.
• Knowledge of consumer rights as they affect mental health.
• Knowledge of publicly funded mental health and addiction disease/substance abuse services in Erie County.
• Knowledge of mental health, substance abuse and housing resources in the community.
• Knowledge of the Mission, Vision and Values of the Erie Blasco Library
• Knowledge of the Mission, Vision, and Values of the Mental Health Association of Northwestern Pennsylvania.
• Have access to reliable transportation.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by staff to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the staff is regularly required to stand, sit, talk, and hear (hearing aid permitted). Specific vision abilities required by the job include peripheral and distance vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a staff encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work place is usually minimal.
Please send application to:
Mental Health Association NW PA
1101 Peach Street
Erie, PA 16501
Salary range: $14/hour
MHA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND PROHIBITS HIRING DISCRIMINATION ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGIOUS CREED, DISABILITY, ANCESTRY, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE OR SEX. EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES SHALL BE PROVIDED FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES AND REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS SHALL BE MADE TO MEET THE PHYSICAL OR MENTAL HEALTH LIMITATIONS OF QUALIFIED APPLICANTS OR EMPLOYEES.
THE MHA OFFERS A COMPETITIVE BENEFIT PACKAGE THAT INCLUDES PAID TIME OFF, HEALTH, VISION, AND DENTAL INSURANCE, LIFE & DISABILITY INSURANCE, AND A RETIREMENT SAVINGS PLAN.