House Manager/Front of House Coordinator
Erie Playhouse House Manager/Front of House Coordinator
The House Manager/Front of House Coordinator is a part-time (10-20 hours/week, depending on the production schedule), non-exempt, hourly schedule. You will be responsible for providing excellent customer service with great sensitivity towards inclusion, access, and safety to our patrons at in-person performances. You must have evening and weekend availability. You will report to the Box Office Manager and collaborate with many other departments (both production and administration).
The Playhouse House Manager’s primary function is to welcome patrons and guests and ensure a positive and welcoming experience that sparks curiosity and fosters lasting community connections for all.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Act as the Playhouse’s primary visible representative during public performances and special events as needed
• Engage with patrons as they enter the theatre, be receptive to questions and curiosity
• Listen to and address patron issues, questions, emergencies, and concerns in a friendly and efficient manner
• Manage the building during productions, ensuring it is opened in a timely fashion and locked securely each evening, as well as monitoring the facilities for any potential issues that would need to be repaired and reporting them to the proper individuals
• Coordinate the Volunteer Ushering & Bar Staff & work with those Volunteers as well as Box Office Associates, Stage Management, and Playhouse staff to coordinate the smooth operation of the house before, during, and after performances and special events
• Maintain the tidiness and accessibility of the theatre
• Ensure the safety of patrons, volunteers, and staff through a strong, working knowledge of emergency procedures and train Front of House volunteers in those procedures
• Be knowledgeable about the organization: our mission, values, current productions, current season, and upcoming events
• Create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere through honest, clear communication with patrons, staff, and teammates
• Must be available to work evenings and weekends, in particular Thursday-Sunday,
• Some prior experience performing high volume customer service-related work
• Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Ability to obtain PLCB Ramp certification & all relevant PA & FBI Clearances to work with volunteers
• Experiences working in a performing arts environment or with emergency management are appreciated, but not necessary
• First Aid and CPR certification is a plus
• You have demonstrated the ability to thrive and multi-task in a fast-paced, high energy, multicultural environment
• You have comfort acting as a leader and taking charge in different kinds of situations
• You enjoy working independently, assume responsibility, and take initiative using good judgment and strong attention to detail
• You feel responsible for the environment around you and seek to improve it with every action
• You get energy from new perspectives
• You maintain a calm, professional demeanor in all public-facing situations
• You can effectively identify and communicate issues or problems to your team
• You are punctual and have a strong track record of showing up
Compensation and Application Information:
• Beginning rate is $15/hour, with 10/20 hours a week, dependent on performance schedules.
• Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and professional resume or CV. All submissions must be received by December 5th, and the position will remain open until filled.
• If offered a position, the candidate must provide copies of the following background checks: State Police Criminal History Record (Act 34 Background Check), Department of public Welfare Child Abuse Report (Act 151), and Federal Criminal History Record Information (FBI Report).
Commitment to Inclusion and Equitable Hiring:
• The Erie Playhouse is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, marital status, religion, gender, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, genetic information, or physical or mental disabilities which do not prevent performance of essential job tasks.
• The Erie Playhouse is committed to recruiting, supporting, and fostering an equitable, diverse, and inclusive community of outstanding staff members and volunteers. Those who share this goal are encouraged to apply.
Salary Range: Starting at $15/hour
Application Deadline: December 5, 2022
Please e-mail Kate Neubert-Lechner at email@example.com.
Founded in 1916, the Erie Playhouse’s mission is to educate, entertain, inspire, transform, and support communities through theatre. With an annual budget of $1.3M, a historic 434 seat theatre, and an outstanding reputation for quality performances, the Erie Playhouse is a leader on stage and in the greater Erie community. The Erie Playhouse is a proud community partner to many local organizations, such as the United Way of Erie County, Erie’s Public Schools, Erie Arts & Culture, and more;, a grantee of the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, and an Erie County Lead Asset as designated by the Erie County Gaming Revenue.