Controller with Sarah A. Reed Children's Center
Advancement Opportunity! As Controller at Sarah Reed Children’s Center, you will contribute to the overall management, planning and execution of financial operations including analysis, forecasting, accounting, reporting, and compliance requirements that support the overall business strategy. This position reports directly to the VP of Finance & Operations and is involved in planning, implementing, managing, and controlling financial-related activities within a non-profit mental health treatment organization. Actively drive efficiency through automation and streamlining accounting processes. Excellent benefits and work environment. Advancement path to VP and leadership team for successful candidate.
- Prepare and organize annual budget for review, presentation & distribution
- Prepare quarterly forecasts updates
- Analyze and report cost variances
- Conduct in depth reviews and analysis for programs and services to help improve operating results and to build program leaders' understanding
- Maintain compliance with internal controls to safeguard assets, and provide for completeness of revenue, costs and program budgets and actual expenditures at the program level
- Oversee annual rate renewal/increases, including calculation of required cost to cover county contracted services
- Develop rate requests for services
- Prepare contract proposals for school districts
- Advise on financial analyses and decision-making regarding capital investments, pricing, contract negotiations
- Update and or develop the documentation of policies and procedures that ensure efficient financial operations and appropriate internal controls
- Provide consultation and support for billing functions
- Research and compile information for software or other technology purchases
- Participate in key strategic initiatives and assist with other ad hoc projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field is required with 5+ years of overall experience, including 2+ years of managerial experience, preferably in a non-profit, healthcare or accounting firm environment. Value Based Purchasing knowledge and/or experience a plus. Previous experience required. CPA license preferred.
- Excellent management and analytical skills with the desire and ability to lead and develop others.
- Problem-solving and decision-making capacity in a government and managed care reimbursed environment.
- Ability to build strong relationships with stakeholders.
- Results-oriented and passionate about operational excellence.
- Strong technical accounting background with a thorough knowledge of US GAAP.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, presentation skills, facilitation skills, and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt practices, processes, and techniques to changing priorities and issues and drive proactive, effective change leadership.
Serving the Erie Community since 1871, Sarah A. Reed Children’s Center is proud to be a leader in the successful care and treatment of children with mental health, behavioral health and severe emotional challenges, many of whom are victims of trauma and abuse. Each year the Children’s Center treats over 2,100 children, adults and families through the following programs: 24-Hour Residential Treatment, Partial and Acute Partial Hospitalization Services, Outpatient Behavioral Health Services and Psychiatric Medication Management, a Psychological Assessment Clinic, Intensive Behavioral Health Services, Community and School-Based Behavioral Health Services, and Alternative Education Programs. Sarah A. Reed Children’s Center is a certified Sanctuary® Model Treatment Center and has been accredited by The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations since 1996. The agency also operates an innovative Doctoral Internship Program that is accredited by the American Psychological Association to train upcoming leaders in the field of mental health and behavioral health services.
Sarah A. Reed Children’s Center is currently celebrating its 149th year of service and continues to be a trusted resource and economic engine in Erie County. Sarah Reed consistently ranks on the list of Erie County’s Top 50 Employers and is currently the 46th largest employer in the county. In total, Sarah Reed’s 320 employees touch the lives of over 2,100 children, adults and families each year.