The primary purpose of this position is to deliver informal, nature-based programs to a variety of audiences including children, youth and adults and focus on outdoor recreation, natural history, the environment and/or nature exploration. The program assistant implements Asbury Woods community programs that provides all members of the community with meaningful environmental, educational, and recreational experiences that inspire a greater sense of environmental awareness, sustainability and stewardship.
This is a full year position: 8 – 10 hours/week, frequently on evenings and weekends.
- A college degree is required (completed or in progress). Preferred degrees include: environmental science/studies, biology, geosciences, natural sciences, education, outdoor recreation management, wildlife conservation, or closely related fields.
- Some informal or formal teaching experience is a plus.
- Customer service or experience working with the public.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills using MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Internet.
- Must possess or be willing to obtain current clearances required by PA law and an FBI background check for a position that requires direct contact with children.
- Interest in engaging with diverse audiences and connecting them to nature.
- Plan and deliver innovative outdoor recreation, natural history, and educational programs at Asbury Woods that support the Mission.
- Handling exhibit animals as part of the program delivery.
- Delivering birthday party programming.
- Performing program preparation for clean-up of planned activities, including room set up organizing supplies, materials and equipment.
- Planning for visitor safety during outdoor activities and maintaining visitor safety while participating in activities.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Director of Education and Community Programs or the Executive Director
To apply for the environmental educator position, please email a cover letter and resume and contact information for 3 references to Kelley Lang at email@example.com. Only submissions received electronically will be considered.