Outreach Services Manager
The Outreach Manager must be community-minded, energetic, creative, collaborative, positive, and forward-thinking--working to further connect the Library with the community through innovative partnerships and services. The successful candidate will be results oriented, strategically focused, and highly knowledgeable in the area of community library services to all ages. This position reports directly to the Assistant Director. The successful candidate is responsible for the following:
- Develops local and regional partnerships with other organizations, businesses, and institutions.
- Promotes and markets library services to a diverse array of local groups, including teachers, schools, interest groups, and local governmental bodies, by doing outside visits, speaking and/or providing programs and tours.
- Creates mechanisms for internal and external evaluation of engagement initiatives using best practices.
- Distributes information to the community and broadens public engagement through multiple channels.
- In coordination with the management team, works to identify and plan innovative, responsive, high quality special events, exhibits, programs, and outreach activities that support the Library’s strategic
- Provides excellent customer service and library services to Erie County communities.
- The candidate will champion library programming and instruction that features a broad array of perspectives and approaches, culturally diverse resources, inclusion and accessibility, and forward-thinking approaches to the delivery of library services.
- Professionally and competently addresses patron and circulation questions and concerns.
- Regularly scheduled as an evening manager, day manager, and weekend manager on a rotating basis.
- Works with the rest of the Management team to provide excellent service and a positive environment in all areas of the library during regular hours of operation.
- Has or will develop thorough knowledge of library circulation system, library policies, procedures, collections and electronic resources.
- Reviews statistics and demographics to determine usage patterns and best use of library outreach resources.
- Participates on interview committees and makes hiring recommendations.
- Supervises, trains, coaches, disciplines, and evaluates outreach and Bookmobile staff on policies and procedures.
- Works cooperatively with other managers and departments, attends meetings as scheduled.
- Performs other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
Must possess the following:
- Supervisory experience
- Broad and current knowledge of library trends and practices
- Current technology skills, willingness to learn new technologies and skills
- Ability to professionally analyze technical problems and arrive at timely solutions
- Ability to maintain good public and community relations
- Organization and time management skills
- Ability to work well both in a collaboratively in a group and individually
- Conflict management skills
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and
shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
MLS from an ALA accredited college or university preferred. Other Master Degrees will be considered. Previous public library experience plus experience working with community organizations and underrepresented communities preferred. Excellent verbal and written communication required. Must possess excellent organization abilities.
PROCEDURE TO APPLY: Please read the County of Erie Job Application Procedures before applying.
Those wishing to apply for this position shall submit a County Employment Application and a Bid Form stating
their qualifications to the Human Resources Department at the Erie County Court House, Room 501, Erie, PA
16501. Apply Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:00 pm.
APPLICATIONS AND BID FORMS CAN BE DOWNLOADED FROM THE INTERNET BY GOING TO THE ERIE COUNTY
WEB SITE AT www.eriecountypa.gov AND THEN CLICK ON JOB OPPORTUNITIES. COMPLETED FORMS CAN EITHER BE
MAILED TO THE ABOVE ADDRESS OR FAXED TO 814-451-6484