Grant and Development Department Writer
Grant and Development Department Writer with Second Harvest Food Bank of NW PA
Experienced, high-performing problem solver with an aptitude for time and budget management and organization. The applicant should provide outstanding customer service and be an enthusiastic professional able to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
This position will work closely with fundraising, accounting and program staff and is responsible for supporting the management and coordination of a large portfolio of private and public contracts. Must be able to organize and discern work priorities, meet deadlines with little supervision and be flexible enough to shift priorities as new grant opportunities arise.
The position will work with a direct mail company to manage the direct mail and newsletter campaigns of the organization. This position must be able to write content for company newsletters and approximately 4-7 direct mail pieces.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan for foundation gift growth based on the development department’s annual goals and Second Harvest’s long-term goals and strategic growth plans
- Research and identify new funding prospects
- Write and serve as the primary grant writer for all grants and proposals produced by Second Harvest
- Manage calendar of public and private grant submission and report deadlines for approximately 45+ grants
- Work collaboratively with Second Harvest development team to secure publicity for funders
- Collect client stories for use in grant proposals, publications and acknowledgements
- Maintain current foundation and grant information in the Second Harvest database and on paper, including key foundation contacts, proposal details, foundation summaries and upcoming deadlines
- Track, report and prepare spreadsheets to follow all pending, approved and closed grants
- Coordinate annual reporting for projects and grants with strict deadlines
- Work with Second Harvest accounting, development and agency relations staff to ensure that all foundation and grant gifts are credited appropriately within Second Harvest’s accounting systems and used according to donor guidelines
- Work with accounting staff and program managers to develop project budgets for grant requests
- Works with direct mail firm to coordinate holiday acquisition and renewal solicitations.
- Creates and writes company direct mail solicitations, increasing the number of donations received and donors who annually support the mission of SHFB
- Develops content and creates the company newsletters to accurately reflect the mission of SHFB and promote donor giving
- Produces email blasts to promote on-line giving
- Bachelor’s degree in a writing-intensive major such as English, journalism, or communications
- Experience in grant-writing preferred. Minimum of at least two years of related successful experience in non-profit fundraising as it relates to revenue generation
- Must be detail-oriented
- Excellent communication, writing, and computer research skills required
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- High quality customer service skills
- Strong computer skills required, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint experience
- Must have a valid driver’s license with good driving record
Salary Range: $43,000 - $49,000
Application Deadline: June 15, 2021
Tentative Start Date: July 1, 2021
Preferred Application Method: Email Karen Seggi at firstname.lastname@example.org
Through the compassion and commitment of our supports, staff, partners and volunteers, the Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest Pennsylvania (SHFB) takes a bold, innovative and multi-pronged approach to achieve our mission of eliminating hunger while educating the community of the realities of hunger. SHFB is the largest hunger-relief organization in northwest Pennsylvania. We are committed to increasing access to food while supporting healthy lives and healthy communities. The applicant should enjoy working in a fast-paced, evolving environment, and demonstrate the ability to embrace Second Harvest’s commitment to treat all people with equity and respect in pursuit of our mission. The SHFB team will live our values of Collaboration, Accountability, Respect , Excellence and Social Justice.