Director of Finance
JOB SUMMARY: The Director of Finance is responsible for assisting the CFO/VP of Fiscal Affairs in all aspects of the Fiscal Department. These responsibilities include budgeting, general accounting, , accounts receivable, payroll, accounts payable, etc.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Promotes and preserves the mission of LECOM;
• Maintains confidentiality, professional appearance and pleasant demeanor;
• Assist the CFO in establishing and maintaining appropriate accounting systems that provide the desired level of internal control. Review financial data and reports for adherence and compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP, FASB, GASB, OMB Circulars and other federal, state, and local requirements);
• Participate in the preparation of annual budgets;
• Oversee the monthly financial report preparation of Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine as well as other Health System entities as assigned;
• Ensure the timeliness, accuracy, and completeness of monthly close activities for A/P, A/R and Payroll;
• Review general ledger activity, researching and correcting account discrepancies;
• Oversee the preparation of bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual tax filings. These include but are not limited to, sales tax returns, payroll returns, federal and state corporate returns as well as others as applicable;
• Provide effective and timely follow through with internal and external inquiries;
• Oversee and participate in the preparation of Form W-2, 1099 and 1098-T filings, as well as other federal and state filing requirements. Ensure timely filing as well as adherence to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations;
• Ensure the accounts receivable, accounts payable, and cashiering functions are operated effectively and efficiently in accordance with local, state and federal law;
• Ensure all internal and external purchasing guidelines are followed;
• Work with the Accounting Supervisor, Bursar and Financial Aid staff to recommend policies and implement procedures for the appropriate distribution of financial aid funds, including student loans and scholarships;
• Assist in maintaining records related to various grants received by the health system;
• Coordinate and oversee the financial audit of Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine;
• Assist in the coordination of the Health System 403b annual audit;
• Oversee the annual inventory of Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine’s property in accordance with internal, local, state and federal regulations;
• Assist in the evaluation of contractual services on a regular basis to ensure the service and financial needs of the entity are being met;
• Participate in the collection of data required to complete various surveys and other documents required by accrediting bodies.
• Oversee the day-to-day operations of various financial services (i.e. Payroll, Accounting…etc.);
• Responsible for the financial oversight of LECOM’s dental and medical practices.
• Ensure regular feedback is given (i.e. individual meetings, departmental meetings...etc.) and annual performance reviews are conducted for all employees under the supervision of this position;
• Gain an in-depth knowledge of the various computer systems utilized by Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine and other entities to assist in providing recommendations for improved efficiencies;
• Contribute directly to the Mission of LECOM embodying the essence of Osteopathic Principles and Practices by assisting with Institutional fundraising and participating in the LECOM Scholarship Auction;
• Commit to being a representative of LECOM by being actively involved in the community, including, but not limited to, serving on Boards, participating in community fundraisers and overall outreach; and
• Accept other responsibilities as assigned by the CFO for the Health System’s needs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of accounting software systems;
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply , and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals;
• Ability to interpret financial or other numerical information and generate reports with written summaries;
• Ability to lead and serve in team settings to establish goals, meet objectives and evaluate results;
• Ability to identify and value diverse sets of skills among staff and create and sustain a collaborative working environment;
• Strong computer literacy with MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel…etc.) and accurate data entry skills;
• Willingness to maintain an established work schedule;
• Adherence to all local, state, federal laws and the Health System’s policies and procedures;
• Knowledge of pertinent laws, policies / procedures and/or guidelines affecting areas of responsibility;
• Ability to be self-reliant and follow instructions;
• Sound decision-making capabilities and the ability to work independently and as directed;
• Willingness to assume responsibility, initiate appropriate action, and maintain confidentiality;
• Knowledge of and ability to maintain confidentiality of patient (HIPAA) and student (FERPA) privacy;
• Compliance with State and Federal Regulations concerning Safety Protocols (OSHA);
• Ability to be trained and certified on the Institutional Data System;
• Effective use of interpersonal and communications skills, including tact and diplomacy;
• Effective use of organizational and planning skills, including attention to detail and follow-through;
• Time management skills in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects, and demands;
• Willingness to be flexible and accept other duties needed/assigned; and
• The ability to report to work as scheduled, ready to devote full attention and energy to the important work of LECOM.
Education and experience equivalent to: a CPA or MBA degree with six (6) or more years’ experience in accounting, auditing, and supervision of staff required. Experience in an educational or health system setting preferred.
Salary Range: $75,000 - $110,000 per year
Application Deadline: 12/31/2022
For employment opportunities at LECOM Health, apply online.
LECOM offers competitive working conditions, wages, and benefits.